Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day -2 Forgotten Treats

Breakfast: Oatmeal with Raisins, sugar, Vanilla Rice Milk
Lunch: Udon Noodles in Vegetable Broth
Snack: Rice Cakes with Seaweed and Sesame Topping. - Canary Melon & Watermelon - Cashews
Dinner: Amy's Brown Rice & Vegetable Bowl (Tofu was over cooked and rubbery)
Dessert: Acai and Blueberry Popsicle & Lime Juice Popsicle (Yeah that's right I had 2)

Day two went fine. I was shaken by a very scary discovery...... forgotten Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. These non-vegan items were left over form last week. I wish I had eaten them last week instead of them sitting on my desk an taunting me with their anti-vegan chocolaty goodness. I put them in the drawer but I could still hear their muffled voices saying "Eat me, eat me". I have got to find me some vegan chocolate!!!

Yesterday I flubbed by popping a Jelly Belly in my mouth which has beeswax on it. I posted this on Facebook as part of my status and my cousin, who is a vegan, reminded me that jelly beans such as Jelly Bellys also have gelatin in them. Gelatin is made from cows hooves, ligaments and tendons therefore making it very non-vegan and actually kind of gross if you think about it. Things that contain this cow hoof gelatin are gummy bears (yes even Haribo Gummy bears), and of course fruit gelatin like Jello, marshmallows, ice cream, yogurt. It is also used in shampoos, face masks, and other cosmetics. On photographic film and in vitamins as a coating on capsules. Its really interesting how many of our daily items contain animal products and we don't even know about it.

There is a reprieve for Jelly Bellys however. Through further research I discovered on the Jelly belly web site that Jelly Bellys are vegetarian but not vegan due to the beeswax in the candy coating. They do not use gelatin yay. Still off the menu because of the beeswax booooo. Another item I need to find in a vegan variety. Here is the link to their site FAQ: Interestingly they are also gluten free and Kosher. So you go Jewish people who are on gluten free diets you eat your Jelly Bellys. Sorry vegans its a no go for you.

1 comment:

  1. OK I cant figure out how to get that link to Jelly Belly to post.

    http://www.jellybelly-uk.com/faq/q-and-a/?id=11

    ReplyDelete